Being a proud mother raising three gorgeous sons and one very funny, young at heart husband, I guess it’s safe to say I am by far … out numbered. As my hubby puts it – There is after-all only space for one princess in this house. However being the only princess does have it’s downfalls.
I chuckle almost daily as I dash through the mornings household chores which occasionally reveal just how much of a ‘boys’ home our house actually is. I find myself thinking out aloud as I note the things guys just don’t do. Here is a short list of the most common of these giveaways.
- Empty water jug in the fridge – I mean, when you have used the last of the water, what possesses these mars creatures to simply slip it back in the fridge door EMPTY.
- Loo paper – we have all had the ‘Mommmmmm, please bring me some toilet paper’ call. Why when you finished the roll did you not replace it? It’s unheard of that a mars creature actually carry out such a task.
- The empty water jug rings true of the milk carton too. How an empty carton can’t make it to the bin all of 3 steps to the side still baffles me. I’ve learnt not to be presumptuous when it comes to sight.
- The grocery cupboard is no different with empty cereal boxes and the likes.
- Yes, that black stuff on the kitchen towel is grease. Working on their bicycles or helping dad in the garage always leaves a fingerprint trail.
- There is no such thing as a lid. Not on the toothpaste, jam jar or butter. Frankly if it’s not a flip top – it gets lost, dropped or forgotten.
- What do you mean eat over a plate? ‘but mom, it means less dishes in the wash up’
- No matter how many lessons on how to load or unpack the dishwasher – everyone seems to have amnesia the next day.
- When there is a new bottle of sauce, regardless of how much is left of the unfinished bottle – it’s old now and ‘finished’ The only way around this is to either hide the new bottle or wait until the existing bottle is completely finished before the replacement makes it’s way on the shopping list. This is especially true of tomato sauce & mayonnaise.
This list for any mom with sons could go on and on but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I treasure these days for I know they will pass and faster than I care to take the time to admit. Knowing that there is always something to wake up to – everyday is a new day, so use the blessings of time to create new memories and strengthen family bonds.
Happy Belated Mothers Day to all the wonderful mothers of the world. I never really did grasp the term ‘A mothers job is never done’ until I became a mother myself.