This has got to be the fastest, easiest and simplest nappy cake I’ve ever put together. Yet another baby shower gift for a friend expecting her first baby girl, the request was for nappies and plenty of. This time I decided to go with 2 sizes up instead of newborn. Reasons being, no doubt she will have plenty if not too many of the newborn size and secondly, a few sizes up would mean she would not have to dismantle the cake immediately. I went about it as follows:
- A trip to the baby store entailed a double bag of diapers/nappies. Rubber bands, Pink ribbon, a round cake board, tissue paper, a teddy and a surprise gift of a non-alcoholic bottle of bubbly aka champagne.
- Wrap the cake board with the tissue paper using sellotape or small press pins neaten it off underneath.
- Sausage roll the diapers and fasten with a rubber band, do this with the whole pack.
- Placing the bottle of champagne in the center of the cake board which helps too as a pillar when assembling the diapers around it. Build your first tier as wide as possible. As you assemble diapers forming rings around the bottle, use rubber band to hold them together. Continue until your cake board is pretty much filled.
- Repeat this process for the second tier using one less final ring, and again for the final tier on the third tier.
- Top the third tier with the teddy bear.
- Lastly I used the pink ribbon to wrap around the tiers then glue on some silk flowers and butterflies. Looking back – next time I would rather a darker colour ribbon to hide the rubber bands.
Do share your creation – Happy Crafting.